Atlas Shrugged

Have just gotten back into this epic of a book. I have run the entire gamut of emotions while reading this heavyweight tome. From indifference, to mildly interested, through totally engrossed, to being bored, then being kicked in the head with some real universal truth. Ayn Rand CAN make you think. It makes me feel so inadequate to even attempt to describe what she has 'put to paper.' She does have a way of dragging out a thought to the absolute extreme, and then continuing for another five pages, BUT, she has some amazing thoughts. I wonder what her IQ was/is? She does make me feel small for being so unlike John Galt or Hank Reardon, but they are so 'over the top', as well as the character of Dagney, that I don't know that any mere human could compare favorably with them. Nonetheless, she does make me think, and that's worth something. I just have to stay with it for another couple hundred pages, and I'll feel like I did accomplish something. Not sure what at this point, but it does feel like it will be an accomplishment.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hang in there... you'll love the end. Although, there is a 20-odd-page speech by John Galt that you can pretty much skip at this point. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?