One of my all-time favorite,

rocking chair moments, has to come from the Big Ten Championship basketball game when I was a senior in high school. We were playing Columbus, at home, and, in the 3rd quarter, we were 17 points behind. The gymnasium was packed, SRO, but the crowd was getting kinda quiet, with the home team at a huge disadvantage. Then, Tom Heller and I started warming up, shots started dropping, and, with a few seconds left in the game, we were down by one. I rotated out of the low post, and, with a guy in my face, launched a 20 ft jumper. From my point of view, it seemed to hang in the air forever, but eventually caught the bottom of the net. The place exploded, and classmates, friends, relatives and strangers mobbed us on the floor. Big Ten champs! Have been reminded of it lately, as I exchange e-mail with friends in advance of our 40th reunion this summer. Have had a lot of highlights in my life, but none with the drama of that game winning shot, in front of so many people I cared about. Rocking chair stuff.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?