Another close call

story, because my readers are SO excited with this theme. Was living outside New Orleans, working Hurricane Katrina, in a 32 ft trailer I bought in Houston, and set up outside Houma, LA, at Bob's Bayou Black Marina, on the edge of a LARGE swamp. Had been there a month, or so, when I saw Hurricane Rita come right toward me. Near sunset, a sheriff's deputy came to our little setlement and advised everyone to evacuate. "Where should we go?", I asked him, since I knew we couldn't go south, east or west, cause it was all swamp, and to the north was New Orleans, which was a disaster area. He said, "There ain't no where to go, but I was told to warn you". I actually could have gone NW, and gotten on a hiway with thousands of others, in a HUGE traffic jam, with no gasoline available. I decided to ride it out. Around midnight, there were sustained winds of 75 mph, along with the beginnings of 15 inches of rain. "Twas a VERY long night, with my little trailer rockin and rollin. I parked my truck on the highest ground available. The water level rose about 36". 2 inches more and my truck and trailer would have been flooded out, but, the worst I had to deal with, other than no electricity and flood conditions, were the fire ants that invaded my trailer and truck. Had welts for weeks, but could have been MUCH worse, if Rita hadn't turned to the west at the last minute. The winds that destroyed PortArthur, and hundreds of miles of the Gulf Coast, would have made short work of my little trailer. Another close call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?