Close call w/crazy guy

When we first moved to Denver, in '71, we lived in the 'Capitol Hill' neighborhood, the home to some very unusual characters. One day I was driving my van down Colfax, and saw a fellow hippie with his thumb out. I picked him up and he offered me some good $ to drive him to Boulder. Once he was in, I noticed he was kinda high, not that unusual for the time, but he was pretty strange. Then he pulled a pistol out of his pants, and proceeded to unload it, just so I wouldn't be 'freaked out' if I happened to notice it. By this time we were on our way to Boulder and he seemed to settle down a bit. He then offered me more $ if I would accompany him to a cabin up Canyon Blvd. Not far out of town, we pulled over and he pointed up the mountainside and said the cabin was 'up there'. I then noticed his wrists, that looked that they had recently been cut, like in a suicide attempt. As we headed up the hillside, I realized I had to get away from him, esp after he asked me where my van keys were. Was looking for a chance to bolt, and when I looked back and saw him putting bullets in his revolver, I decided to run for it. Was wearing sandals and one came off, but I didn't slow down. I beat him to the van and took off, more than a bit shaken up. Told the story that night to my buddies at a concert I was working, and we decided to return to the area, along with one of our Denver PD buddies, to try and find the guy, the next day. We went up the hillside, found my sandal, and not far from there found a pile of bloody clothes stashed under a rock, but no trace of the whacko. Never heard any more about it, but the more I thought about it, I think someone was after my $ and my van.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have a mighty powerful Guardian Angel watching over you, my friend. That's a fact.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?