One more story, today,

that I hadn't thought of, for a long time, but just remembered. Coop and I were having lunch at Potter's, a nice bar/restaurant on the Pearl St mall, in Boulder, when we heard an altercation at the table beside us, between Barry Tilleen, a trust fund jerk, and Charlie Biggers, a black professor from CU. As we looked on, Charlie said, "No one calls me a nigger" and he slashed Barry from his ear to his mouth, with a large folding pocketknife. At first there was no blood, and his cheek fell open, revealing all the teeth on his left side. Then the blood started gushing, soaking the frilly white shirt he was wearing, and Charlie walked past us on his way out. We were asked to give a statement, after Charlie jumped bail, and I didn't think much of it until I read that Charlie had been captured, many years later, when he was elected mayor of some island town in the Caribbean and they ran his prints, for some reason. Anyway, I was called in by the prosecutor as a witness, (Charlie later plea-bargained, and there was no trial) and he asked my version of the story. Along the way, he mentioned that they had picked up the knife Charlie left on the table and could I identify it? I said, something like, BS, Charlie folded up the knife and put it in his pocket as he left. He looked me in the eye and said, "I guess you really were there." I still occasionally see Barry around Boulder, and he still has a really nasty scar.
Just realized I could do more gun and knife stories, but some are better left untold, at this point.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Stevo....you really should write a book!!!!!!!! I love these stories. I'm sittin' here slack jawed! What a hell of a life you've lead. God bless your sainted wife, Carol.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?