That last story, brought to mind,

another one, as I remembered looking up at the sun shining on the surface of water, (can still plainly see it, in my mind's eye), with a feeling of helplessness, and realized I have had that view before, with the same feeling, (You're gonna die!) "Twas a beautiful summer afternoon, and I was bass fishing at one the local sandpits, when I decided to try a new technique. I put a floating frog lure on, cast it out, and left to do something else for awhile. When I came back, the lure was nowhere in sight, but, as I reeled in the slack line, I could see, in the clear water, a huge largemouth, snagged on an underwater tree limb, in about twelve feet of water. After a couple of false starts, I was able to kick down deep enough, where my plan was to pull the lure from the snag, and hopefully retrieve the fish. What I WASN'T planning on, was the fish going crazy, and impaling my hand on the exposed treble hook. Again, I remember looking up at the sunlight dappling the surface, and realizing I was trapped below. After trying, unsuccessfully, to disengage the hook from the branch, I freaked out and jerked may hand free of the lure, leaving a cloud of blood as I (must have) straightened out the hook and the barb tore my hand open. 'Tis well over forty years ago, but I still have that view of the twinkling surface above me, but thankfully, the feeling of terror is way diminished...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?