Not sure why,

but was having a rocking chair moment, and thinking about some of my favorite outdoor experiences, and found a theme. One of the largest, most beautiful trout, I ever caught, was a big brown, on the Blue River, near Kremmling. 'Twas early in the morning, and I saw him working a beaver pond, rising to every large bug that landed. It took a LONG time. to work my way into position, find a place to cast, and to put a fly in the right spot. He took it, and after a long fight, I landed him. At first I thought, 'All right, breakfast"! But, he was SO pretty, and the moment so right, I released him. And have been so glad, ever since. Another time, I was pheasant hunting, north of Broomfield, and saw a huge rooster, with a hen, in the ditch. I slowly drove up, and stepped out, ready to shoot. We looked at each other, and I finally got him to fly. Then I watched him fly away. Too pretty to shoot. More than once, when elk hunting, with a cow license, I scoped in on a large cow, with her calf, and decided not to shoot. Can't explain it, BUT, it is part of hunting/fishing, to just enjoy the moment. It is NOT about the kill. It is about appreciating wildlife, and the experience of being outdoors. I gotta lot of rocking chair moments, but my favorites seem to be the ones that, 'got away'.

Comments

ladyj said…
Yesterday evening, just after a heavy rain, I was looking out the front door and what caught my eye, but a Mama mallard and 6 babies in the grass heading for the street. How in the world had they gotten through the fence. They must have come from Ottawa River. The youngsters were much to young to fly. It was quite a parade, with traffic coming to a halt as they crossed the street. The skies will soon be filled with flocks of geese honking their way through the air. I just love that sight. Another of God's heart moments.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?