As I wade through,

'South of Broad', by Pat Conroy, I am truly conflicted, as in just walking away from it, or continuing on, to see if it has some redeeming value. Conroy, who wrote one of the best books of all time, 'Prince of Tides', still has the talent to create the magic of the South in his prose, BUT, he stretches reality and logic so thin, that it is hard to keep from saying, 'Oh bullshit', and just closing the cover for good. One theme that keeps drawing me back, is our hero, Leo King, who graduated the same time I did, has many of the same mileposts in his adolescence, including, slow-dancing, for the first time, to 'Wonderland by Night', that magical, romantic slow song. SO, I went to U-tube, and had to listen again. Has been MANY years, but that sound is still there. If you are of that age, this may bring back some memories, of that magical time, when you first held someone soft and sexy in your arms and swayed to the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV7hLHiFHxg

Comments

Anonymous said…
Speaking of slow dances, rember Blue Velvet, by Bobby Vinton?
Ranny said…
Who was that guy you held so tight
ladyj said…
High Five Ranny!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe it was you, darlin' but you were so bombed you don't remember. I love it LOL!!!!!!!!
Fam Guy said…
If I only knew how to trade in my regular readers, for those of higher class, I would do it in an instant.
Cyndi said…
I love Pat Conroy! Haven't read "South of Broad" yet but I have heard good and bad! Have you read "My Losing Season" by Pat? I have it if you would like to borrow it!
I am a fan of Barbara Kingsolver and I am going to start her latest "The Lacuna" soon!
I am currently into "Boom" by Tom Brokaw. An epic portrait of the sixties, a fault line in American History. Very good! One of my favorite hobbies is a great book!!!
Fam Guy said…
Hey, Cyndi, we need to get together and talk books, and stuff. Looks like our 'Survivor' group is kinda spread out, but, we gotta make it work. Lookin' forward to it, girl. Now that Carol ain't workin' we got some time on our hands.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?