As I watch 'Hurt Locker',

I remember a time in my life, when I had to leave my little town, to find a job that paid actual money. Headed down to Dallas, to work at a 'defense plant'. that made sniper scopes and search lights, that the Dept of Defense paid big money for, in Viet Nam. It was 1969, and some of us thought the Viet Nam war was bullshit, while others were making good money. Varo Industries made it pay, for them, and me, for a while. Until, I realized the cost, to soldiers being drafted, and innocents being killed. Didn't matter to the Texans, as long as they had a paycheck coming, to buy Dixie, or Lone Star beer, at the end of the week. Got my ass hassled and nearly jailed for saying it was WRONG. Not a popular position in Dallas, in 1969. REAL lucky I didn't end up in jail for 20+ years, cuz you didn't need a high school diploma to be a cop and kick hippie ass, in those days, and if you could bust 'em with a joint, even if it was 'planted', you were a hero, to the local rednecks. Some people wonder why I hate Texas. You had to BE there, and escape, to appreciate it. Luckily, I did, but some of my friends didn't.

Comments

ladyj said…
Rednecks, white socks, and Blue Ribbon beer.
Lived thar, Ft. Hood, lived off base in Mobile Home. Field mice would invade through the plumbing in the kitchen and eat into my bread and buns, until I learned to stuff steel wool around the opening. Had spiders big enough to pull a U-haul. After a rainstorm, the frogs would hop up and hit the skirting around the trailer at night. Creepy! I hate Mobile homes. San Antonio isn't a bad place.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?