Imagine my surprise,

as I read the paper this morning, skimming a review of 'Bad Religion', who played locally, last night. Had just spoken w/Kari about the band last week, though I haven't heard them, that I know of, and saw a quote from the leader, Greg Graffin saying, 'religion is such an easy target', but I didn't realize how easy, until I teamed up with Steve Olson'. No shit. Seems he co-wrote a book, 'Anarchy Evolution', that debunks lots of modern religious dogma. No big deal, but was kinda surprised to see my name in print, this morning, as he said.
One example might be our song I Want Something More. The lyrics discuss how we as humans struggle to form our world view. That is why religion was such an easy target — not to tear it down, but to identify its fatal flaws.

Hmmm, must be something about the name, Steve Olson, that stirs profound thinking.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Went to the show last night at the Fillmore in Denver. Great show that had a lot of energy in it.
I, myself am not a huge fan of that kind of music, but really enjoy a lot of the lyrics. Greg Graffin is amazingly smart (he received his Ph.D. at Cornell University).
-hb-
Anonymous said…
Singer Greg Graffin states that more often than not, the band prefers to use religion as a metaphor for anything that doesn't allow for an individual's freedom to think or express themselves as they choose.
Fam Guy said…
I didn't realize it was 'Dr' Graffin, til I read more about them. WOuld like to read the book, but is not in the library. Not commenting on God, but RELIGION, has been used like either a hammer, or opiate, on the people, since the time that people question the moon, stars and life itself. It gave answers, usually wrong, to the questions that were unknowable.
Anonymous said…
One of the best lines is
"the process of belief is an elixir when you're weak"
you can take that anyway you want
Fam Guy said…
Yup, any way you want. A real elixir, or ? After reading his views, I think I know.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?