Good article,

about 'The End of the World', today, on AOL.


"I can see the attraction of this kind of thinking. If the believer white-knuckles it and holds the line, then God will come and break into the world, relieve their suffering, bring justice to an unjust world, and lift those who believed into an exalted role in the new creation. The more I think about the people who are placing their hope in the current end-of-the-world scheme, the less I want to laugh at them and the more I feel compassion for them. My guess is that people who put their trust in these movements have a sense of powerlessness, and they need to believe in a radical solution to their current situation. While the rich and powerful make fun, the rapture believers are largely working-class people who feel that they have less and less of a voice or place in this world. Like buying a lottery ticket, they are placing bets on a instant transformation of their personal situation where the last will become first, and the rich will be sent away empty."
Well said....

Comments

ladyj said…
That, my friend, is a bunch of BS. I feel empathy for you that you put your faith in the things of this world rather in the unseen. I don't feel less powerful, in fact I feel more powerful than you'll ever feel because of my faith in the Everlasting. I KNOW where I'm going and where I belong. You may have your riches. What is that going to buy you in the end? Just a ticket to nowhere. Not well said at all, Steve, not at all.
Fam Guy said…
I didn't know you were part of May 21, end of the world crowd. But you're right I don't put 'faith' in the unseen, unproven and imaginary. I look at what is real and deal with it. If I see a reason to change my outlook, I will, but so far, I deal in reality. As for your claim that you will be raptured by 2013, at the latest, we'll see...
ladyj said…
I wasn't among the May 21st crowd, but I do believe this old planet will go bye bye pretty soon, sooner than we think, due to prophecy being fulfilled, the first being Israel becoming a State in 1947.Many things have come to pass, Steve, if you are a member of the body of Christ and read the scriptures. One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist or as you believe "dumber than dirt" to know there is a higher power than man. I know, and that's all that counts.
Fam Guy said…
Never siand anyone was dumber than dirt to believe in a higher power. May well be, I don't know for sure either way. What I DO know, is the Bible isn't even close to being infallible. It's a collection of nice stories, myths, suerstition and tall tales, pacakaged as truth.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?