Denver Post today,

has the story of Barry Fey passing on this weekend. Seems he was despondent from a hip replacement surgery that he just 'wasn't getting better' from. Last summer I met with Barry and got him to autograph his book, 'Backstage Past', and my framed collection of 'backstage passes' from his concerts when I worked for him for several years in the 70's. I blogged at the time that he didn't look good and I didn't think he'd be around long. Kari freaked out and said he could Google himself, find my post and be upset, SO, I took it down, right away. As I've said, I have mixed feelings toward Barry, mainly lots of respect for being a great businessman and pioneer in the concert promoting industry, BUT, a lot of his success came from the fact that he could be a real hard-assed jerk, to get what he wanted. We always got along well and I could get him to smile and laugh when lots of people were just scared of him, cuz I knew a lot of his growling was just an act. If I had to bet, I'm thinking he was depressed at the idea of getting old, not recovering from his hip surgery and just decided to end it. Just a guess, though. An amazing, driven, intelligent man who was in the right place at the right time and made the most of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?