Barry Fey ended his book,

by saying, 'I wish I'd have been nicer'. HA! A nice guy woulda never prospered, like he did, in the cutthroat business of concert promotion. Gary and I were in his Brooks Towers office, getting paid one day, while he was negotiating with the agent of a big name band, though I don't remember who it was. While stirring slices of BBQ beef brisket, (his favorite) on his desk top electric skillet, wearing his white Converse All Star hightops and shorts, he was talking 'price' on the phone. All of a sudden he started yelling, threw the phone down and it fell on the floor. He then started talking to Gary and me, while occasionally yelling stuff at the phone, on the floor, including, " I just want 'em one night, not the whole %#*-ing week'. After a while he asked me to check to see if they were still on the line, and I said they were. 'They better not hang up on me', he said to the floor, as he added more BBQ sauce, pulled some cash out his drawer for us and we talked a bit about the next show, before he finally picked up the phone and got back to 'negotiating'. Yeah, Barry, you coulda been nicer, but you were a 'one of a kind' character.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?