Learned a couple things this morning,

on CBS Sunday Morning,  the TV news magazine, about the Sandhill cranes that visit the Kearney, NE area this time every year. First, Nebraska is the ONLY state that doesn't allow them to be hunted, and that about 600,000 descend on the Platte River islands, where I spent so much of my youth. I didn't realize many volunteers groom the area to make it 'crane friendly', which means keeping the coyotes away, so the 3 1/2 ft tall birds can add about a pound of fat, (from left-over and spilled grain), to help in their long journey to the Arctic Circle and even Siberia. Part of the pageant is the elaborate mating ritual and those who hook up can be 'couples' for over 40 years. I had no idea....

Comments

Ranny said…
We have these beautiful birds all over the place doing there dance, and they are the loudest bird I have heard
Fam Guy said…
I had no idea they were in FL, and thought you were crazy, BUT, Googled it and, surprise, you're right.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?