I've known a LOT of 'characters' in my life,

but not many as flamboyant and likable as Kevin Manning, or 'Buggs', as we all knew him. The original 'gentle giant', Buggs was about 6'6" and well over 300 lbs, without a bit of fat on him. One of the strongest guys I've ever known, whenever he'd shake my hand, I'd just hope he didn't crush it, cuz he totally could have. Buggs was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, but didn't take his meds or take care of himself, until it was too late. He lost about half of his weight, and one of his feet, to the insidious disease, and last night, lost his life. His daughter found him on the kitchen floor. He'd just spent the last week working with our buddy Scott, up in Wyoming, and, in one of their last conversations, said, 'I don't think this new medicine is working,' after the Dr. put him a new type of insulin. Thinking back, I have SO many Buggs memories, as he worked for me and with me, several times, had innumerable poker games we went to Canada fishing together. On his first trip to Canada, Scott, Dave and Buggs and I walked into a crowded diner, just over the border, late at night, and this giant of a man looked around and spoke loudly into the crowd. "Any of y'all speak English here?" What I'll always remember about him, first, is that he was always 'up', laughing and smiling, no matter what was going on in his life, which was kinda difficult sometimes, but he loved to play 'Buggsy Claus, in his Santa costume, for the kids. Am gonna miss him. Have known a lot of people in my life, but Buggs was truly 'an original.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?