Speaking of early-in-the-year,

fishing trips, shortly after getting my driver's license, 4 of us decided to drive to the far western side of the state, to Merritt Reservoir, where the trout were supposedly hitting. 'Twas just gonna be an overnighter, in our tent, and we planned on eating fish, so we didn't take much food. BIG mistake. Ended up catching one small fish, before the late spring blizzard forced us to hole-up in the tent. It only snowed for a day and a half, but Merritt is WAY out in the boonies, and not a high priority for snow plows, SOO, while we waited for the plow or spring thaw, whichever came first, we got REAL hungry. Normally, I hate sardines. The smell alone is enough to turn my stomach, but I'll never forget how good that last one was, on that last piece of bread. I think we were only there for 3 days, but 3 days with no food is a LONG time. To this day, I always take extra hot dogs, Spam, or whatever, because I never want to be that hungry again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?