The wildfires in Texas,

remind me of a story I heard when I lived down there. A rancher, with a huge, expensive home, saw the fire coming toward his house and offered $10,000 to any fire dept that could stop the blaze, as most of the locals were busy w/their own fires. He was near the edge of the inferno when an old pumper truck, from a nearby small town, blew past him, with firemen hanging on the side, and drove right out into the middle of the flames, where the truck stopped and the men jumped off, working furiously to battle the fire, which was scorching them. They finally extinguished it and the rancher thanked them profusely, gave them a check, with a bonus, and asked what they were gonna do with the money. The captain, still smoldering, with most of his hair burned off, said, 'Well the first thing we're gonna do, is fix the brakes on that damned truck.'

Comments

Steve said…
The only two things you can come up with is a joke and something about preachers (not main stream preachers, but the fanatics, which aren't all in Texas)?

In the meantime, a firefighter (volunteer) has died, another injured, 160 homes up in flames, more than 1 million acres burned (more than Rhode Island), not to mention livestock and wildlife burned alive.

In times of trouble, it is normal for Americans to come together and put aside our petty political differences to help each other.

But there are those who can't see past their bigoted hate.
Fam Guy said…
I try to admit it when I'm wrong, and looking at the tragedy of the fires, (although this was posted before the deaths of any firefighters), this isn't a laughing matter. The fire and brimstone fanatics that preach about Gods' wrath on non-believers is another matter, when they are the victims. But, if that makes me seem callous, then I will remove them both, after posting this apology, for a day or so. I have nothing but heartfelt sorrow for the victims of this, and other fires.
Steve said…
I wanted to believe your intent was not to celebrate a very serious sitution. So I had to challenge. I'm glad I was right that it wasn't your intent.

I read your post on my blog, and I understand where you are coming from. I spent some time on a response (which was good IMHO), but Google lost it (crashed when I previewed)... Arrgg....I may not agree with everything, but I will agree that our personal experiences do form our worldview.

Anyway, I will tell you that I appreciate you responding to me without personally attacking me, and I'll try do to the same in the future.

One last thing if I may: Texas is not "my state." But that's a discussion for the future.

Go Blue!
Steve said…
And one other thing about the preachers. I think you and I agree on that. There are too many fanatics, in my opinion, where ever they are from, and I'll admit that Texas has its share, though it is a big state.

But I really don't care, because I don't listen to them and I'm not a Texan. (hint)
Fam Guy said…
Is good to hear you a rational human being. There are not enough of us around, IMHO.
ladyj said…
Saying the two of you are rational is like saying the Stooges were Oscar worthy!

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?