My closest call

to actually 'not making it', probably came when, as a kid of about 12, I was bowfishing for carp at a local sandpit. This was an actual working pit, beside the Platte River, where they would suck sand out, into large piles, and leave a 'sandpit', filled with water. Anyway, I was at the business end of an old pit, and was walking along the newly formed shoreline, with a 'cliff' of sand behind me, when, all of sudden, a section broke off, and started to slide into the water, taking me, buried in sand to my waist, with it. Was like slow motion, but there was nothing I could do, as I was slowly, but surely, carried under the water, entombed in sand up to my waist. After what seemed an eternity, I was able to kick my legs free, and fight my way to the surface. I was lucky. My classmate, Mike Stumf, died at the same pit, in the same circumstance. An attractive nuisance, it would be called today...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?