One more, quick one.

Was working at Winding River, a dude ranch, on the source of the Colorado River, above Grand Lake, right near Trail Ridge Road, when I decided to go check on my guys, who were working on a bridge repair on the other side of the property. The horses were all saddled up for the 'touristas' trail ride, and I asked if I could borrow one. Sure, the wrangler said, 'Help yourself'. As we galloped down the gravel trail, I realized the saddle was slipping to the side. Seems the experienced trail-ride horses would inhale, when being saddled, so they were more comfortable, without the cinch being too tight. Anyway, it seemed like slow-motion, as I stayed in the saddle as long as I could, but fell off, going full speed, when I was nearly upside down. Got several bumps and bruises, broke my left wrist and right thumb, and got two casts, put on by an inexperienced paramedic. MUCH too tight, considering the swelling. Woke up in the middle of the night with throbbing pain. By wedging a Buck Knife into the opposite cast, was able to cut them both off, although I did slice myself up, a bit. Again, could have been worse, but was bad enough, at the time. Just 2 of the 15, or so, broken bones I have had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?