Another rock n roll memory

Actually three, from the same show. 'Twas in St Louis and The Who was on tour with an unknown (at least to me), opening act. Saw some 'kids'with an attitude, saunter onstage and Iwondered if they had any decent songs. Then they opened up with "Gimme Three Steps", and I was introduced to Lynard Skynard. The Who was actually a bit of disappointment after those wild-eyed southern boys rocked the house. Do remember, between shows, at the back door, an argument between some old guy, security guard, and some dude with a heavy British accent. The old guy was saying something like. "I don't care who you are, no one gets in without a pass." I checked it out, and there was Pete Townsend, in a long overcoat, trying to get back inside after going out, 'for a smoke'. I let him in and he said, "Thanks, mate, thought I was gonna have to go 'round front and buy a ticket". Townsend would always end the show, in his white jumpsuit, doing his helicopter riffs on "won't ggeett foooollled againnnn", then smash his guitar and kick it offstage as he left. This night, some jerk I'd had trouble with, earlier, got to it first and thought he had a souvenir. HA. As he left, I told him he had to return it, because The Who had a roadie who fixed the guitars before each show. He gave it to me and I kept it. For many years. Then, during a move, I looked at the smashed guitar, decided it wasn't worth keeping and tossed it. SMART. Who would have wanted one of Pete Townsend's smashed guitars???

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, I was kissed by Andy Williams on my birthday and sat down at the piano and sang with Henry Mancini at an after concert party. I know that doesn't beat Pete Townsend's guitar, but it may come close eh,?
Fam Guy said…
Actually, yours beats mine....

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?