One of these days




On October 5th, ’09, Comcast Cable, here in Broomfield, went out, about mid-morning. Had happened before, but wasn’t such a big deal, cause we didn’t have ‘the bundle’, then. The bundle is Comcast’s fiber-optic package, which includes our phone, cable TV and high-speed internet. Also, last time it happened, it was just for a few minutes, and although frustrating, it was no big deal. BUT, this time it’s been off for over 8 hours, and who knows how long it will be off. Got some stuff done around the house, including installing our new tankless hot water heater that arrived by FedEx today. I finally sent the old one back, after having to hit the reset button WAY too much lately. A real drag, in the morning, instead of having hot water, you just wait and wait and realize you gotta go to the basement and hit the reset button. Anyway, they agreed to take it back, and it finally got here today, after using our leaky HWH for a couple of weeks. It seems to work, and kept me occupied for over an hour. Still no cable. So, I went back to cleaning the garage, trying to reclaim some space in my workshop, and was fairly successful. Fixed a nail gun, got a vacuum working, and cleaned up a bunch. Still no cable. Had lunch w/Carol, and heard about Stan Randolph, (really cool guy, I haven't met, yet), played w/Bailey, read some of my new Michael Connelly book, listened to, and worked on a playlist for my I-pod, listened to the radio feature, correctly guessed the My 3 Songs theme, (voodoo). Still no cable. It’s raining and I miss checking on LOTS of stuff on the internet, so I finally figured out that my TV w/the HD DVR still worked, and I could access what I’d recorded. Decided to put on a Neil Young concert I’d grabbed a while back. What a great idea. I love ol’ Neil. He has SO many great songs, and he did a bunch in the 3 concert series I taped. Decided to delete the songs I didn’t like, so I had an all star concert. He played with from 3 to about 30 back up artists, including Emmy Lou Harris, a steel guitar, fiddles, an orchestra, singers and lots of guitars. Amazing music, on my Bose system. (Later, as I write this, I’m playing another concert, ‘David Gilmour, in Gdansk’. Wow!) Still no cable, but that’s OK. I need to do this more often. I admit it, I’m an internet junkie, but didn’t realize it ‘til today. So, here I am, listening to and watching a Neil Young concert, totally enjoying myself as I listen to “One of These Days”, where he sings about ‘gonna sit down, and write a long letter to all those good friends I’ve known’, and it goes on from there, and I start thinkin’ to myself. Self, you oughta do that. Make a nice, generic letter, to some of the people in my life that I should spend more time with, and should have been a better person/friend/relative, than I actually have been. Pretty long list, when I think about it. Not that I haven’t wanted to be a better person, but I got a few problems, that aren’t unique to me, but I’m afraid that I got AT LEAST my share. Hate to admit it, but at my core I’m kind of a lazy survivalist. Do enough to get by, try not to hurt anybody, and just enjoy what I got, which is enough to make me happy, while I spend good times w/friends and relatives. In my letter, a lot like Neil, I need to say some thank you’s and I’m sorry’s, cause I could have been a much better person while I been here on earth. Just want everyone to know, I’ve always had good intentions, no matter what has actually happened. Seems like my good points are better than average and my bad points are worse than average. Taken together, that makes me pretty average, BUT, that is something I’ve always tried real hard, NOT to be. Nothing wrong w/being average, but I’d hate that someone would apply it to me. Neil sings about ‘thanking the Lord, for the good times together, though apart, we’ve grown’. Well, one of these days, is today. As he says, ‘I never tried, to burn any bridges, but I I know I let some good things go.’ I’ve always been ‘blessed’ with the strength of my convictions the weakness of my flesh, at least my share of luck, and a distinct lack of patience. Bad combination, but hey, that, and the fact I never thought I’d grow old, kinda shaped me. Not that I don’t like money, but I always thought there were very few things that were worth investing the limited time you have, to trade time for ‘things’. Easy to say, when you got a few ‘things’, but driving a new car, having the biggest house or a nice Rolex never seemed that important, once you get the basics taken care of. Besides, it’s all relative. Money and ‘things’, that is. And I guess I’m relatively comfortable, but just want those who know me, to accept my apologies for being less of a friend or relative that I should have been. Sorry, it’s not that I don’t care, it’s just that I’m ME, and that includes lots of weakness, and other warts. Please, just remember the good, and forgive the bad, as you would like to be forgiven. I’ve had SUCH great people in my life, and thank you, for being one of them. Just a rainy day in Colorado, with no cable…..

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome blog! Neil Young is the best! Maybe a rainy day w/o cable, internet and phones allows us to look deeper inside or just read a good book and appreciate what we do have! Thanks for sharing!
ladyj said…
aw...you sweet thang! Bless your little ole pea pickin' heart! Like my mama used to say, "it takes the bad times to appreciate the good times." And I sure know that's a truism. I'm still awaitin'.
Anonymous said…
Probably too much information, but I would agree you've had at least your share of good luck.
ladyj said…
To Anon #2...I doubt luck has anything to do with it. The Scriptures point out, "As we sow, so shall we reap." And ,"As a man thinketh, so is he." It takes courage to say what's in your heart and thank the ones who are dear us. Try it sometime.
Anonymous said…
Right on ladyj!
ladyj said…
Stevo's a ball of mush inside. He dearly adores his family and appears to have friends galore, as varied and diverse as the man himself. One thing I've learned, he may not be right, but he's never wrong....oh and "don't go there."
Fam Guy said…
Ball of mush? I don't think that's a compliment, but I'm not sure.
ladyj said…
compliment...you're all gooey, mushy, sticky sweet inside. You hung in there with me when my doggie died, knowing how I felt; you had the grandfather love right away; what you've expressed about Carol's flower garden and her beauty inside and out; your paintings; that frisky feline you cherish.......you're mush!

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?