The earthquake in Japan reminds me,

of an experience, that I may or may not have blogged about before. The first night I spent in Northridge, as a disaster ins adjuster after the 1994 quake, I was just about asleep, in my 2nd floor motel room, when the whole place started to shake. Found out later it was the largest aftershock after the original tremor. At first I thought it was kinda neat, then it got worse and I saw cracks open up in the drywall of my room and I decided I needed to jump out of the window. I wobbled to the window, kicked out the screen and looked for a place to land. Wrong! There were some landscape rocks below me, so I didn't jump and just rode it out. The next morning I went out and moved all the rocks so I'd have a landing zone, that fortunately I never needed, though I did go through several aftershocks, the worst while I was in the crawlspace checking out the foundation of a big old house on a hillside. Thought I was gonna be buried there. That was 17 years ago and it's hard to believe there hasn't been another large quake in that area. They are WAY overdue for a BIG one.

Comments

ladyj said…
Been there with ya' Bud. Had a California experience with a 6.0 quake; went through a few California forest fires that blacked out the daylight and hurricaine Ewa in (what)1982 on Oahu with 2 weeks without electricity. Of course the blizzard of '78 in Maryland. Opened the front door and there was a wall of snow! Hello..... Life has been fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?