Quite an anniversary today,

as I mark 8 years from my last 'job', and the beginning of my retirement.  Arrived in Houston, after being paid $700 a day to stay in Lafayette, LA on 'Stand-By', doing nothing for over a week. Had just finished doing 'Disaster Insurance Adjusting' after a hurricane decimated that part of LA.. Ike was the last hurricane (or anything else) that I ever 'worked'. Actually seems a lot longer than 8 years ago, cuz I feel like I've been retired 'forever'.
I sure don't miss the feeling of arriving in a place with no gasoline, electricity, lodging or groceries and getting handed 60 claims, that need to be done NOW, with no internet, when everything is done 'online'. I really remember the traffic in Houston, which is ALWAYS bad, but there were no streetlights, and LOTS of car wrecks, when the sun would hit the GREEN and make people think they had the 'right of way', and then get T-boned. Almost happened to me several times.
I developed the habit of using the special Emergency Lanes on the tollways, and got notices for years from Houston Traffic Division, cuz I never paid for any of the (many, expensive) tickets, but I sure got around a LOT faster. And, I brought home a YUUUGE paycheck, which I earned, with all the crap I had to put up with, from TEXANS, although my clients/insureds were good people, for the most part.
Those were the days. And to think it was only 8 years ago. Amazing....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?