I have purposefully avoided the Denver Broncos'

Brandon Marshall controversy, cuz I think it is a 'gray area'. He has every right to take a knee during the nat'l anthem, but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do, in his demonstration against 'social injustice'.
An article in today's Denver Post explains, at least partly, WHY he chose to protest, knowing he would take a LOT of flak, lose lots of $, and unleash the ire of a bunch of idiots against himself.
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/14/brandon-marshall-national-anthem-conversation/

It obviously wasn't an easy thing to do, but he decided to live with the consequences. It seems that one of the main reasons for his act of civil disobedience was an incident in Miami, last year, when cops 'tried' to tackle him. and then hauled him in, with the use of a taser, when he had done NOTHING wrong, other than being 'black in public'.
Most people can't relate to something like this, but I can, after having long hair in the midwest and Texas, during the late 60's and 70's. It was like wearing a 'Kick Me' sign, and many, including cops, loved to join in, but I did it anyway, to show I wasn't part of the Viet Nam/Nixon(R) supporting idiots. I felt it was important to 'take a side' those days, and still do. (BTW, the nation has moved forward and Viet Nam (like Iraq) is known to have been a major 'mistake', with YUUUGE costs, and zero benefits. And pot is legal, where I live. Bottom line, rightwingnuts are always 'the last to realize' what most already know.)
But I digress...
Good thoughtful article, by someone with a social conscience, knowing it wouldn't be easy. I hope it turns out well for him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?