As I read more of Willie's book,

I realize why I like him so much. He doesn't fit into easily defined category and slide effortlessly from one genre to another. Every time I drive into Denver at night, esp from the mountains, I think of his song 'Denver', from the Red Headed Stranger albu. 'The bright lights of Denver, were shinin like diamonds, like ten thousand jewels in the sky'. His first movie, 'The Electric Horseman', with Robert Redford, is one of my all time favs, with his classic line, 'I'm gonna find me one them Keno girls that can suck the chrome off a boat hitch, and kick back and relax'. and 'Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys', and 'My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys' fit the movie perfectly. His 'On the Road Again' is a classic, written in a few minutes when the execs told him they needed a song for a film. He also hits close to home with his infatuation with Colorado and golf. He bought his own golf course, (after living in Steamboat for a while), and learned to love the game, although he admits, like anyone who plays enough, that whenever you think you've got it figured out, golf will come back and kick you in the ass. Haven't finished yet, but am thinking there's WHOLE LOT of truth in Willie's book that most people will never understand, as he melds the red and blue states into a purple world. Too bad.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?