Broomfield High School had a HUGE

track meet today, and it reminded me of when Kari used to have spring meets, and it was always cold, wet and windy. Then, I remembered one of my worst track meets, at Hastings, Nebraska. The pole vault pit was wet, packed sand, which was HARD to land in, falling from 10+ feet, but someone had a great idea for the high jump pit, where they stacked a mattress on top of an old, solid steel, bed spring (before box springs). It was raining, my 'plant foot' slipped and my hip slid into the steel frame, giving me a large 'strawberry' of raw meat. Then, it was on to the high hurdles, where I went down and got cinders (which the track was made of) in my knees. Then, the bus got stuck in the mud, and we all had to get out and push. I was behind the tire that got traction and threw mud all over me. Memorable, fifty years later...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?