Watching Forrest Gump

and am reminded how the Southern states (R) fought integration (and haven't changed that much) and how sexy it was to be in a car, on a rainy night, with your girlfriend. Some things are just indisputable, (incl the great music from Forrest Gump), AND, I was reminded how the politicians sent young Americans (and they tried to get me) to get their asses shot off in Viet Nam (another war started with 'lies', about a Navy ship being sunk in the Gulf of Tonkin), which I thought could NEVER happen again. Until GW and The Dick were installed by FOXNews and they remembered how well 'lies' worked, when you wanna start a war, and you got a bunch of sheep on your side. Anyone who could live through the Viet Nam era, and then the lies of Iraq, (with 'gov't approved torture' thrown in), and STILL be a Repub, obviously has their head DEEP in their ass. I remember the big question of the time was whether you'd be sent to jail for smoking pot or sent to Viet Nam if/when you lost your student deferment. My 'Draft Lottery Number' was 55, which meant I was gone, if I passed the physical. Luckily, I worked as an orderly (cuz I was in pre-med) at the hospital and knew a Dr. who also thought the war was bullshit. Thank you Dr Bancroft, for rigging my draft physical. Exciting, but very dangerous time to 'grow up', which some of us never did, cuz we didn't want to join 'the enemy', who preached 'God and Country', as they sent us to war, or jail.When I think of all the lives ruined, so the politicians could get their wars in 'Nam and Iraq, it still makes me sick, when I am reminded of it, by Forrest and other memories of that era. Those who weren't 'of age' during those days won't understand, cuz even some who were, don't have a clue, with their selective amnesia. Viet Nam, Afg and Iraq. What great moments in American history... (and yes Afg was bullshit too, cuz the 911 bombers were 3 Afgs and 15 Saudis, and the civilians of Baghdad had NOTHING to do with it.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?