Leslie Gore died, at 68,

an age I used to think was 'really old', but not so much anymore. I always liked her songs, voice and lyrics and I guess I wasn't alone, as I'm borrowing from my buddy Dave Hardy's blog today, cuz he felt the same way, it seems. Sort of an anthem for a large part of our generation, although some 'never got it'.
 
No, I wasn’t a young feminist (the word wasn’t even invented in 1963). I was just captured by the tune, the strings and the passion in Lesley’s vocals – especially that crescendo chorus:
"You can't tell me what to do, you can't tell me what to say, I’m free and I love to be free. To live my life the way I want, to say and do whatever I please.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great 'bargains' at the local Sprouts store

Guest columnist

You think the Repub brand is tarnished now?